In December 2005, I started a beauty blog.
Within the next 6 years, I had beauty albums (my intro to blogging), sub-blogs (The MAC Fetish–an ode to my addiction to MAC), forums, Youtube channels…you name it. I tried tons of things over the years to make my blog what I wanted it to be. Almost all of those things have failed.
Every so often, I look at my unfinished posts and at barely used makeup and think “What the hell am I doing?” There are times that I am so uninspired, so out of the loop, and plain old unsure of myself.
There’s SO much that I wish I knew about blogging. To this day, I read guides and blogging blogs all the time. In this guide, I’ll share what I’m learning, and all the crap I wish people told me.
This is an on-going series that will be edited constantly. Check in for new additions, links and suggestions.
Here’s some of that info:
1. It’s not a competition. There’s room for everyone.
2. Don’t waste your precious time worrying about what everyone else is doing. Do you. Sure, it’s great to get inspiration from others, but don’t try to be them. If you don’t like they way your blog is going, change it.
3. Beauty blogs need images. The more, the better. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve read beauty blogs that talk about a product and don’t show me the product. What the–?? If you’re telling me about a gloss, let me see the gloss! Sheesh.
4. Creating different blogs for different topics isn’t always the best idea-you have to grow a whole new following. I’m still teaching myself that lesson. Like, right this second.
5. When you’re not in the mood to blog, don’t force it. Trust me, I’ve forced posts. They are crappy, and usually your readers can tell.
Here are bunch of other posts that I’ve written about beauty blogging. All of them are my opinions. Follow if you’d like, try if you’d like.
So, You Want to Start a Beauty Blog?
4 Things To Consider Before Starting Your Beauty Blog
How to Start a Makeup and Beauty Blog in Five Easy Steps
My Youtube Story: Six Years of Happiness, Opportunity, Jealousy and Self-Doubt
My Foundation for Blogging: Why I Started Scandalous Beauty
The Blogging Process
30 Topics and Ideas to Discuss on your Beauty Blog
My Most Productive Blogging Tip (It’s Super Simple)
Why I Left Blogger for Self-Hosted WordPress + 5 Plugins That Make My Blog A Supermachine How To Write Better Blog Post Titles Organize your content: Categories, Tags and Pages
Branding with Images: Favicons, Avatars
Your Blog’s Archives: Don’t Let Them Forget Your Content
Creating a Blogging Schedule
Don’t Let Your Older Posts Get Lost, Recycle It!
Working With Brands: Approaching Them and Not-Selling Out To Your Readers
My Three Step, Foolproof Strategy to Consistent Blogging
Media Kits: Collaborating w/ brands and Building Partnerships
20 Ways to be a Successful Blogger While Working Full Time
Classes, Workshops and Conferences
Independent Fashion Bloggers Conference Notes ’10
The Bloggers Conference Checklist [And how to still be there without actually being there]
Spread the Word: Your Blog’s Business Cards
Create Your Blog’s Mission Statement [Video]
Your Personal Website or About Me Section: Brand Yourself!
Layout / Blog Design
Spice Up Your Comment Section: Platforms and Options
Juice Up Your Footer: Your Last Chance to Hook Your Readers
Make it Easy for Readers to Share Your Content
De-clutter Your Blog’s Sidebar [Video]
Creating a Blog Layout That You’ll Love
Gaining (and Keeping!) Readers
My Preferred Blogging Vendors:
Godaddy Hosting ( + Coupons!):
Hosting for $1.99 a month
Take $5 off $30 or more or $15 off $75 or more!
Business Cards: Moo (50 for $20, Minis are 100 for $20)
Camera: Canon T2i DSLR
Camcorder: Canon Vixia HF G10
[These are affiliate links]